Gubbio is taking part in celebrations to mark 600 years since the birth of Duke Federico da Montefeltro who, according to several biographers, was born in the city on 7 June 1422.
He was an experienced and capable ruler and captain of fortune, as well as being one of the leading patrons of the Italian Renaissance. The exhibition retraces the greatest moments experienced by the city of Federico and his son, Guidubaldo – the last of the Montefeltro dynasty – from the birth of the duke in Gubbio in 1422, to the death of Guidubaldo in 1508. Curated by Francesco Paolo di Teodoro, along with Lucia Bertolini, Patrizia Castelli and Fulvio Cervini, the exhibition shines a light on one of Italian history’s most illustrious figures, providing an opportunity to reinterpret the history of Gubbio between the late 14th century and the early 16th century.
The exhibition showcases, according to specific areas, works of art on loan from a number of prestigious Italian and foreign institutions, as well as private collectors; these include manuscripts, paintings, documents, medals, coins, weapons, armour, sculptures and furnishings, some displayed for the first time to the public in their entirety.
The exhibition shines a light on Federico da Montefeltro, who commissioned his illustrious palace to be built in Gubbio as the second seat of the duchy. He chose the best artists to create the furnishings and even had his studiolo replicated here – it was the treasure trove of his humanistic sensitivities and now, approaching the end of his life, the spiritual legacy to hand down to the young Guidubaldo.
Federico was extremely fond of Gubbio and had very strong feelings for it, as he wrote in 1446: «perché ve acertamo che lì è tucto el core nostro et tucta l’anima nostra» (because we assure you that all our heart and all our soul is there).
The exhibition is promoted by the National Committee for the Celebration of the Sixth Centenary of the Birth of Federico da Montefeltro, the Umbria Museums Regional Directorate, the Municipality of Gubbio, the Diocese of Gubbio and Palazzo Ducale, Palazzo dei Consoli and the Diocesan Museum, with the contribution of the Umbria Region and the support of Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio di Perugia, in collaboration with Gubbio Cultura e Multiservizi and Festival del Medioevo. The catalogue is by Silvana Editoriale. Organisation is entrusted to Maggioli Cultura.